Monday 18 November 2013

The Student Wears Prada


I had the privilege of volunteering for Brill Communications at The ShOws this week. In this breathtaking two-day event, held at the Andrew Richard Designs studio, I was able to expand my personal boundaries.I stepped into the shoes of a real life Public Relations Practitioner and embraced my inner fashionista. Never in a million years, would I have thought I would be working at a fashion show amongst Canada’s most influential people in the fashion industry. 

I’ve always had a love for fashion since I was a little girl. I would daydream of strutting down the runway of Paris, or doing editorial shoots for Vogue. Yet, my dreams changed as I matured, but my dream of being in fashion did not. Volunteering and getting involved with local fashion shows is a great way to get experience and exposure within this industry. So why not take advantage?

What I loved about working at The shOws, was that I gained hands-on experience working in the fashion industry. Working directly with the creators and founders of the event captivated me. The event was never a dull moment, whether it was dressing the models, seating guests, or setting up the venue. I loved every second of it! The shOws showcased young-Canadian designers and their Spring/2014 collection. Bellavance, Calla, Jeremy Laing, and Steven Tai all took to the runway to debut show-stopping pieces. 

Most of us have volunteered for one thing or the other, so I ask my readers this: What are the benefits of volunteering? What experiences have you taken away?
I view volunteering as an open segway to many opportunities. You must view everything as a learning experience and soak as much information in as you can. These experiences will help guide you into your new job, and develop a strong network. What was your most memorable time volunteering? Tweet me your answers @0liviadavis. I would love to hear from you.


BY OLIVIA DAVIS





No comments:

Post a Comment