Thursday 14 November 2013

Why your waiter hates you.

My name is Morgan, and I am a server. Please note, I am no "servant". I work in one of the highest volume restaurants in the country, and would like to voice a few observations. This blog is part rant, part public service announcement to inform and educate the public on the many reasons why your server(s) hate you. 

 
Today's Rant: Manners

Basic human decency no longer applies in restaurants it seems. I generally start with a simple 'Hello, my name is Morgan, how are you doing today?' - such uncomplicated sentence yet it inspires all sorts of rude responses.

Guests most commonly proceed by either;
  • Completly cutting me off, not even letting me finish my sentence and interrupting even more rudely with a "I'LL HAVE A COKE" (OH HI! Nice to meet you too, jerk.)
  • Continuing to click away on their phone (Heaven forbid we make eye contact!)
  • Continuing their conversation and blatently ignoring me (OH I'M SORRY, I was just trying to do my job and SERVE you)

That being said, manners clearly don't exist like they once used to. I understand that sometimes people are having a bad day, maybe they just lost their job, or even a family member and I am sympathetic to those situations. But I truly swear some people go out to restaurants with the sole intention of being mean and I, the poor vulnerable waitress, am the easiest target. People know that we, the men and women that serve your food, have to 'grin and bear it' while you publicly berate us for whatever self-important reason you declare. As stand-up comedian Brad Stewart said, "Coffee? Are you sure? That's going to burn a little bit when I ACCIDENTALLY spill it on you."
 

If you need a little refresher on how to be a decent human being, Emily Post has dedicated this entire site to essential manners;
 

See also CNN Travel's report titled 8 easy ways to make your waiter hate you 
 
 
 


(WORD COUNT 331)

No comments:

Post a Comment