Wednesday 3 October 2012

Can I Get Your Order?





For those in the restaurant industry, everything in this blog will relate to you. For those who aren’t, I hope this gives you a better understanding of some of the things you might not notice.

      1. First, never wave or snap at a server. That is probably the rudest thing you could ever do. If I’m not coming to you, I’m probably busy at the moment. Maybe raise your arm a little bit if you have a question, but never wave at me like we’re long lost friends bumping into each other.

     2. I think this is quite odd, but sometimes when I go to a table to say hi they yell out “I’m not ready!” before I even get the chance to open my mouth. Yes, I know you’re not ready you just sat down. I was just welcoming you but I guess you don’t want the hospitality.

3. The most annoying thing ever is when I bring food to a table and the customers say “…and my hot sauce?” or “Where’s hers?” Wait, so you know how to carry 6 burning plates at one time?!?!?!?! PLEASE TEACH ME SO I KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH YOU IMPATIENT MONSTERS

4.  Just as bad is when they ask where their food is.
a.     It’s probably not ready yet
b.     I just decided to leave it in the kitchen even though it is ready
c.      I ate it

Aside from that, I quite like my job as a waitress. But it has always confused and bothered me that people like to look down at us and disrespect us. Why are we any different from other customer service jobs? Why does society view servers this way? Do you think this judgment is reasonable?


Word Count: 292

1 comment:

  1. Alicia,

    I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog. I agree with you completely. Unlike you, I do not have a lot of experience in the restaurant industry. However, often when I go to restaurants of all sorts, I find myself watching customers treat their waiters/waitresses very disrespectfully. I never comprehend why they do. Their disrespectful treatment towards you is not going to speed up the food they ordered. Perhaps, society views servers this way because not enough attention is put towards restaurant etiquette? OR perhaps it is because in movies, often comedy films, server roles are not taken seriously. Regardless, individuals need to learn how to respect each other.

    ReplyDelete