Tuesday 23 October 2012

Do You Dare to Think Pink?


October is a month full of feasting, trick or treating and stepping on fallen crunchy leaves. It is also a time to “think pink” and raise awareness for breast cancer. This is something I hold near and dear to my heart after losing my grandma, aka Crazy Nanny, to breast cancer a few years ago. I enjoy this month more than other 11 months, mainly because it reminds me to take a step back and appreciate everything. There are 31 days in October to get involved and to go pink.

                                       

 
Breast cancer is still the most common cancer in Canadian women. With 1 woman in 9 being diagnosed during her lifetime, a lot of families are impacted. There are many fun ways to show your support and pink looks great on everyone! The CIBC annual Run for the Cure, which asks, “Who are you running for?” raised over $30 million in 2011. The Pink Tour brought to you by the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, is also underway, in which a giant pink tour bus drives across Canada bringing information regarding breast cancer. Or you can go to your local hair dresser, like my mom and I did, and pay $10 for a pink extension in your hair. This is part of the Pink Hair for Hope campaign, and money goes to breast cancer research.                                                          
                             
            The most important thing my grandma could teach me was appreciate the little things. This is something I am beginning to realize more and more each day. In return, if I can help out in even the smallest way possible, I think that is what matters the most at the end of the day. I encourage all of you to participate in some way, shape or form this month. Just for fun here is a link to a Teen Vogue article outlining the “must have products” for Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Do any of you “think pink” during the month of October?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing you post! I really enjoyed it. I believe that it is really important to "think pink". I volunteer for the RBC run for the cure. Next year, I hope to actually be participating in it. As well, whenever I see a product where money goes towards Breast Cancer causes, I do purchase them. Just wanted to say that your post inspired me to become more involved with "think pink" causes.

    ReplyDelete